Are Nicotine Salts Safe?
Nicotine salts aren’t new, but in the last several years, popularity and usage has spiked within the vaping industry. For most, learning about nicotine salts for the first time can bring on many questions - Are nicotine salts safe? Are they dangerous? Those who are new to vaping can become especially confused with the vast number of new terms that they are introduced to. First they had to figure out what type of vape juice they like, which nicotine strength suits them the best, and what VG/PG ratio they enjoy vaping at. Then they jump on a forum and are introduced to the concept of “nicotine salts” and their journey for information starts all over.
Let’s face it, nobody wants to research for hours - we just want the answers to our questions so we can vape the way we want to as quickly as possible! In this post, we’re going to provide everything you need to know about nicotine salt e liquid and help you figure out what the hype is all about!
What are nicotine salts?
Without getting too scientific, salt based nicotine is a form of nicotine that is naturally occurring in tobacco leaves. In conventional e liquids, manufacturers often add “freebase” nicotine, which is considered to be the purest form of isolated nicotine. Nicotine salts on the other hand, are not limited to only nicotine - they also contain other organic compounds that are found naturally in the leaves of the tobacco plant. As a result, their molecular makeup is more stable. For users who don’t feel that their craving has been satisfied after vaping normal e-liquids, nicotine salts provide other compounds that allow the vaper to enjoy a vaping experience that more closely replicates smoking tobacco.
Simply put, freebase is isolated by removing protons from the nicotine, while nic salts provide nicotine in an unaltered state.
Traditional e-liquid or nicotine salt vape juice?
Salt nic juice isn’t for everyone, but they offer a very specific vaping solution that can benefit many vapers; especially those who are recent former smokers. Some people enjoy using powerful devices, producing huge amounts of vapor and blowing huge clouds; and for these vapers, traditional e-juice provides the solution. Compared to nicotine salt ejuice, traditional e-liquids have the following benefits:
- Availability: Nicotine salts are only recently gaining steam in the vaping world. As a result, many places that carry conventional e-liquids don’t yet carry nicotine salts; and if they do, it’s likely offered in an extremely limited supply.
- More flavors: There are thousands and thousands of e-juice flavors on the market today, but since nicotine salts are less popular, their flavor options are limited. If someone runs out of salt ejuice, it may be difficult to immediately replace it; whereas traditional e-liquid can be easily obtained in most regions around the world.
- Device compatibility: Traditional e-liquids are generally fit for usage in any device. Those who love huge vapor production can use a freebase nicotine based solution to blow humongous clouds without irritation to the throat. Salt based e liquid on the other hand, is made for usage with low-wattage devices; delivering a high dosage of nicotine without needing to use a high wattage device.
- Less nicotine: For some vapers, the biggest benefit of traditional e-liquids is that they have less nicotine. Individuals looking to cut down to zero-nicotine vaping for instance, would not be interested in the high nicotine levels offered in nicotine salts. However, this is only a benefit for a select group of vapers since not every vaper shares the same vaping goal.
There are some vapers however, who only have one goal - to satisfy their nicotine craving. This is especially true for those who formally smoked and have now switched to vaping. For these individuals, nicotine salt e liquid provides many benefits over traditional e-liquids:
- Higher Nicotine Levels: If nicotine delivery is your vaping goal, nic salts allow you to vape with higher nicotine levels up to 50 mg. Readily available traditional e-liquids on the other hand usually max out at around 12 mg, limiting the level of nicotine delivery. Individuals who are transitioning from smoking to vaping often find the higher nicotine levels of salt vape juice to be more satisfying.
- Smoother Hit: Those who prefer vaping at higher nicotine levels typically prefer nicotine salts since they are much smoother than traditional e-liquids (at the same nicotine level). Vaping freebase nicotine liquids at high levels often lead to an overbearing and unpleasant harshness that may ruin the vaping experience. Since nicotine salts vape smooth with less bite, vapers with a preference for higher levels find that salts are much more satisfying.
- More Flavor: E liquid flavors can be heavily affected by the taste of freebase nicotine. Nicotine salts on the other hand, allow vapers to enjoy a better flavor profile that is more accurate to what the manufacturer intended.
- Use Less Liquid: Nicotine salts are intended for use in low-wattage devices. Due to their biochemistry, these salts tend to leave vapers more satisfied and for a longer period. Those who use nicotine salts tend to vape less, and as a result, they save money because their e-juice bottles last much longer!
Are Nicotine Salts Safe
The safety of vaping in general has always been a topic of debate between doctors, federal organizations, vaping advocates and other involved entities. In comparison to regular e-liquids however, nicotine salts are typically deemed to be just as safe.
Although nicotine salts themselves are comparable in safety to freebase nicotine, there is one thing that must be considered. Nicotine salts aren’t as easy to integrate into vape juice as freebase nicotine, so benzoic acid is often added into the composition. Toxicology reports have not found any danger regarding inhalation or vaping benzoic acid, but there have only been very few studies performed that relate to long-term use.
Whether it’s nicotine salts or freebase nicotine, whether benzoic acid added or not, it is becoming more generally accepted that vaping is considerably less dangerous than smoking. A recent report by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine concluded that, “substituting e-cigarettes for combustible tobacco cigarettes reduces users’ exposure to numerous toxicants and carcinogens present in combustible tobacco cigarettes.
Vaping.com’s Top 5 Nicotine Salt E-Liquid Flavors
Nicotine salts are still gaining steam and many e-liquid manufacturers are still working to produce their flagship nicotine salt flavors. However, there are still many awesome nicotine salts flavors on the market, produced by some of the top e-liquid brands in the world. Here’s five of our favorites!
Solace Creamy Tobacco
Creamy Tobacco is a flavor that is super hard to get right - but after nearly three years, the flavor has finally been mastered! Research and development for this specific flavor spanned across multiple brands and collaborations - until finally, the flavor has come together just right. Solace Salts hosts an array of fantastic flavors that cover the spectrum of customer’s preferences, and when it comes to those who love a strong and bold tobacco flavor. Creamy Tobacco has become a hit among nicotine salt juice lovers, especially among former smokers who are just transitioning into vaping.
Solace Strawberry Hard Candy
This succulent nicotine salt blend combines the freshness of just-ripened strawberries and sweet jawbreaker candy. This unique nic salt juice will make your taste buds jump with a sweet strawberry inhale followed by an exciting hint of candy on the exhale. Give your taste buds something to be excited about!
Naked 100 Really Berry
The Naked 100 brand is known for producing a wide variety of amazing and popular vape juice flavors, and this same level of excellence has been spread to their new line of nicotine salt e liquids. Really Berry is an incredible blend of fresh blueberries and blackberries with a sweet and slightly tart hint of lemon. All of this, along with a smooth throat-hit that nicotine salts are best known for. Really Berry is available in nicotine levels of 35 and 50mg, and has a PG/VG level of 50/50.Buy Naked 100 Really Berry Here!
Mr Salt E RY4
The Mr. Salt-E brand is changing the way vapers see nicotine salts by providing higher nicotine levels with amazing flavors and smooth throat hits. RY4 delivers an exceptional vaping experience, combining classic tobacco flavor loaded with butterscotch and honey. It’s everything you want in a nicotine salt tobacco flavor, with an exciting, sweet and unique finish.
Propoganda Salts Blue Slushee
Propaganda is a frontrunner in the race to the top for the best nicotine salt vape juice brands. Their tried-and-true flavors are perfect for low-output vaping. Blue Slushee is sure to bring back memories of a ice-cold sweet beverage on a hot summer day. Both tart and quenching, Blue Slushee allows you to enjoy this flavor anytime and anywhere, without visiting the corner store or being left with the tell-tale sign of blue lips afterwards!
Vaping Nicotine Salts With Pod Systems
While many low output devices can process nicotine salts effectively, pod systems provide the best nic salt vaping experience. These devices are low-output and simple to use - just pop in your pod and inhale, and you’re in action. We have one of the largest selections of amazing pod systems available. Not sure which system is right for you? Check out our staff’s selection of the best pod systems of 2018!