Disposable Vapes: Understanding Safety Concerns
The disposable vape scene is booming. In fact, the number of vapers who use disposables has risen from 2.2% in 2021 to 15.2% in 2022.1 While these in-demand devices have become a top trend in the vaping world, are disposable vapes safe?
Here, we’ll take you through the ins and outs of disposable vapes. Find out exactly what these devices are, how they work, and learn about some of the common safety concerns around using them.
What are Disposable Vapes and How Do They Work?
Disposable vapes are non-rechargeable vape devices. They only last for a certain amount of time, the exact amount depending on personal usage. There are lots of disposable vapes available in the UK, which come pre-filled with a range of e-liquids, and with this, a variety of flavours and nicotine strengths (up to 20 mg). Get a feel for the different types available at vaping.com, here.
Disposable vapes are battery-powered. This battery heats up the coil in a prefilled pod, which vaporises the e-liquid, and this creates the flavoured vapour you inhale. These popular devices are draw-activated with typically no set-up required, making them easy to use.
Thanks to their simplicity, you don’t need a lot of vaping knowledge to use these devices. This makes them a great option for first-time vapers making the transition from smoking. You can use them to test out vaping before committing to a more long-term, rechargeable kit.
How long a disposable vape lasts will depend on the user. Everyone’s vaping experience is unique, and how much a person vapes can have an effect on how long the disposable lasts.
Are Disposable Vapes Safe?
In the UK, there are regulations for vapes on the market.2 These regulations ensure that all vaping products meet certain safety and quality standards.2
The long-term effects of vaping, including disposable vapes, aren’t yet known, as the product hasn’t been around long enough to determine this.3 However, it’s still known to be ‘substantially less harmful’ than smoking cigarettes.3 In fact, the Office for Health Improvements and Disparities has stated that vaping is ‘at least 95% less harmful than smoking ’.4
Smoking exposes users to harmful substances, including tar and carbon monoxide.5 Tobacco smoke also contains nicotine, which is addictive, however, the NHS states that it’s still ‘relatively harmless ’, and can be effective as a tool for stopping smoking.3, 5 & 6
Disposable vapes, and vapes in general, usually contain nicotine, but they don’t produce tar or carbon monoxide - two of the most harmful substances in tobacco smoke.5 What’s more, you can also get nicotine-free vapes, which don’t contain any nicotine at all. Find out more about these products in our guide ‘Are Nicotine-Free Vapes Safe?’
Which Disposable Vape is Right for Me?
The best disposable vape for you will depend on what you want from your vaping experience. Before deciding on a product, it’s good to ask yourself, what am I looking for in a vape?
If you’re on this page, odds are you’re curious about disposable vapes, but why is that? Are you only just considering making the switch from smoking to vaping and want to test the waters first before committing to a rechargeable vape kit? Perhaps you’re looking for something that’s convenient and ready to use as soon as you buy it. Or maybe you like the look of the flavours available in popular disposable products, like a Lost Mary or Elf Bar, and want to explore what else this category has to offer. Figuring out exactly what you’re looking for can be a huge help when deciding the right vape for you.
Below, we’ve made a list of what you might be looking for, and some products that could suit these scenarios.
- Something that looks like a cigarette: you may feel like a vape that mimics the look of a cigarette will help keep that familiarity while first transitioning from smoking. The Cigalike Disposable (x1) from Elf Bar could be a good option to consider for this. Its balance of 50VG/50PG e-liquid and 17 mg nicotine strength offer users subtle cloud production and quick nicotine absorption.
- Something that offers a classic tobacco taste: there’s a variety of different e-liquid flavours out there, but some may prefer that classic tobacco taste. The VEEBA Classic Disposable provides a rich, earthy tobacco flavour, ideal for those wanting this experience.
- Something with a high puff count: while the exact length of time these vapes last will depend on personal usage, disposable vapes with a higher puff count can last longer than others. Those looking for something that allows for a longer-lasting experience might want to explore the Bar Plus Disposable from IVG.
- Something with a range of sweeter flavours: a great part about vaping for those with a sweet tooth is the variety of flavours. If you’re wanting to explore these flavours, the Lost Mary BM600 has a huge range to choose from - 24 to be exact. Ranging from Blueberry and Juicy Peach to Cotton Candy Ice and Pink Lemonade.
Want to learn more about the disposable options out there? Check out our guide to the Best Disposable Vapes for the latest top products, as chosen by our vaping experts.
- Gov.uk: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nicotine-vaping-in-england-2022-evidence-update/nicotine-vaping-in-england-2022-evidence-update-main-findings
- Gov.uk: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e-cigarettes-regulations-for-consumer-products
- NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/better-health/quit-smoking/vaping-to-quit-smoking/
- VApril: https://vapril.org/is-vaping-safe/
- NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/quit-smoking/using-e-cigarettes-to-stop-smoking/
- NHS Inform: https://www.nhsinform.scot/healthy-living/stopping-smoking/reasons-to-stop/tobacco