Buying Your First Box Mod? Here’s What You Need To Know
- Best Box Mods for Beginners
- Best Box Mods for Power
- Best Designed Box Mods
- Choosing Your First Box Mod
Box Mod vs Vape Pen
If you’re new to the vaping world and searching for your first box mod, things can get confusing pretty quick. You go to buy your first device and come across terms like personal vaporizer, mech mod, unregulated box mod, pen style mods, and more. You go to buy your first bottle of juice and you have a million different flavors and a wide range of nicotine levels. Box mods can be pricey in some instances, and when buying your first one especially, you want to find a box mod option that is really going to satisfy you, and one that you will appreciate over a long period of time. To help you learn about box mods and make sure that you make the right selection with your first mod, we’ve created this Box Mod Newbie Guide. By the time you get through this guide, you’ll know exactly what a box mod is, how a box mod works, and will be able to decide which box mod will most ideally fit your needs.
What is a Box Mod?
Before you choose a box mod, you first have to know what a box mod is. Furthermore, to really understand what a box mod is, it’s best to go back to the beginning of the e-cig and vape mods scene and see how box mods were first introduced. The vaping world began with small and low-powered tube-shaped e-cigs and mods that resembled cigarettes. These e-cig devices accepted disposable cartridges that would have to be replaced once they had run their course (which seemed to happen very quickly). Some people enjoyed these models, and while they did grow quite rapidly in popularity, there were many enthusiasts who really desired greater performance from their vape mods.
Next, came the pen style vaporizer. These e cigs and mods, while still pen shaped, were much longer and wider than the cigarette-style devices. They had larger batteries, which meant more performance and longer life between charging. Since mods are relatively simple in their construction, innovative vape users started modifying devices to make them more powerful and give them better production potential. Using all types of household items from Altoid cans to handmade wooden boxes, these early mods set the stage for the commercially produced “box mods” that are popular today.
In the most simple terms, a box mod is a form of vaping device that has a box shape as opposed to the traditional or pen-style cylinder shape. New vape mods are much more complex, including large screens and circuit boards that allow for a variety of functions and increased control of each vaping experience when compared to the original box mod style.
Box Mod vs Vape Pen
If there is one advantage of a pen-style device over a box mod, it would likely be its small size and discreteness. However, a great number of vape users prefer the benefits of a vape box, regardless of their larger and more irregular size. Although a box vape mod is seemingly less flexible than a cylinder device, the box shape provides for several features that vape pen mods cannot provide, such as:
- Longer battery life: Box mods have more internal space. This means that a greater number of batteries can be included. Many commercial box mods accept one or two batteries, while a larger 18650 box mod may accept up four. More battery power results in higher wattage capability, longer life of the device between charges, and a much greater box mod performance.
- Better cloud production: The increased wattage and performance of box mods gives the advantage of more vapor production per hit, and thus, bigger clouds! Early pen style devices were known for their low wattage and minimal vapor production. Today’s sub-ohm vapor box mods can reach wattages up to 300w and produce clouds that can fill a room in two vape hits. Box mods are perfect not just for cloud chasers, but also regular vape enthusiasts who prefer a better control of how much vapor is produced on every hit.
- Better control: Newer commercial box mods are built with sophisticated circuit boards that give users the ability to manage a number of settings to make the device work best for the user. The top box mods allow users to learn exactly what their specific vaping preference is, and set their vape mod to provide an ideal hit, each and every time.
Regulated Box Mod vs. Unregulated Box Mod
Regulated circuit boards do more than just allow the user to control the device better, they also ensure that the box mod e cig won’t fire in case of a malfunction. Vape mods that include these circuit boards (personal vaporizer mods) are referred to as regulated box mods. New users buying their first box mod (and many experienced users) typically prefer these mods since they don’t have to take on the responsibility of monitoring the device for safety themselves. Some vapers however, prefer to have more control over the actual construction of their devices and choose to build their own vape box mod - unregulated mods.
These box mods are simple in construction, and are built with just a battery, an atomizer, and some type of housing to contain the components. Since these devices are unregulated box mods, there is nothing to prevent them from firing in case the battery is defective in any way. These mods however, can be built with almost an unlimited number of batteries (how many can you fit in a housing?) allowing mech mod users to really trick out their device’s production - far more than is possible through a commercially produced personal vaporizer.
Features of a Regulated Box Mod
Over the years, the chipsets that control regulated box mods have improved drastically. Today, many commercial e cigs and mods provide advanced controls, including:
- Safety features: Regulated mods have internal regulations to ensure that devices don’t misfire. Mechanical box mods, on the other hand, sends a raw battery voltage to the atomizer without a specified level of resistance. With an unregulated box mod, a low ohm coil combined with a non-compatible battery can lead to failure, without any safety measures to stop it from happening.
- Temperature Control: Many new box mods allow for easy temperature and wattage control. By simply changing their settings, users can enjoy a variety of vape experiences and have the ability to increase/decrease the power of their device during usage.
First time buying a mod box? With so many devices on the market, it can be hard to decide where to start! For first-time mod buyers, here’s three good box mods we recommend.
1) SMOK Alien Baby AL85Buy SMOK Alien AL85 Here!
2) Kangertech Topbox Minivape juice so you don’t have to refill as often as you would with the Nano.” Tank Capacity: 4ml Max Power: 75 Watts Buy Kangertech Topbox Mini Here!
Looking for a personal vaporizer device that packs a mean and powerful punch? Here are our suggestions for the best box mods for power lovers:
1) G Priv V2 ModBuy SMOK G Priv V2 Here!
2) Wismec PredatorBuy Wismec Predator Kit Here!
Want a high-quality device that really breaks the mold in design? Here are a few of our favorite well-designed box mods.
1) Sigelei Kaos ZBuy Sigelei Kaos Z Here!
2) Tesla Steampunk NanoBuy Tesla Steampunk Nano Here!
3) SMOK Veneno Box ModBuy SMOK Veneno Mod Here!
4) Tesla Punk ModBuy Tesla Punk Mod Here!
5) Voopoo Drag ModBuy Voopoo Drag Mod Here!
Now that you know what box mods are and how they work, and have a few suggestions on some of the best box mods on the market, it should be much easier to make a decision on which mod is right for you. The first step to buying your first mod, is knowing what you want from your mod.
- Do you want a small device that can easily fit in your pocket? Look for small box mods with big performance.
- Do you want a high wattage device that delivers extreme power? Look for the most powerful vape mods.
- Is affordability the most important factor for you? Look at vape mods under $50.
Just remember, the better that your device fits your needs, the more likely you will be to stick to it for the long term. Do your research and check out reviews before making your purchase. Vape on!